9.19.2005

Being itchy, paint, and epidemiology...

Alex's open house was tonight, so my wife and I got to walk around his classroom and formally meet his first grade teacher. The whole time I was in the school, I could not stop itching... my arms, hair, back, and legs... I was scratching and fidgeting like crazy. I don't know if I was allergic to the idea of school, or if it had anything to do with the droves of sweaty, dirty little kids... either way, I was glad to be out of there. Now I know why we get sick more when school is in session... all the kids can incubate their germs in class, then take them home to spread to their parents.

Got about an hour and a half more painting in on the Mandarin Spawn. I have now clocked almost 3 hours of painting into it, and I have finished: the torso. No arms, no head, nothing else... just his torso. This one's gonna take a while. I guess it doesn't help that I was at Hobby Lobby at lunch today, and picked up a few new colors. I like these ones MUCH better than some that I had... now we're gonna be kicking it with some Testors Acryl - got some Grape Pearl, Purple Pearl, and True Blue Pearl. It's looking purdy... but no pics until it's done now.

Now that it is evening, it's time to get to work... working on some Flash training courses on bioterrorism for a college. This week, I'm doing Epidemiology, which contrary to my previous conception - is not the study of skin. It's actually the study of the distribution and determinants of disease. Very inthralling stuff. No, seriously. I mean it. Just fascinating...

Doing these lessons have taught me WAY more than I ever cared to know about anthrax, botulism, viral hemorrhagic fevers, the plague and a plethora of other awful diseases with equally awful inflictions. I get to look at all sorts of photos from the Centers for Disease Control photo archive. I highly recommend surfing the galleries over a nice snack or fine meal.

Between my day job and my night work, I'm averaging about 52-55 hours a week of work, about 5-6 hours of sleep a night, and I am still managing to spend time with my family AND work on customs. Not as much of the latter two as I'd like, but I try.

Speaking of which, I should probably stop typing this now and get to work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home