4.04.2006

Little moments of time...

Tonight... well, technically, tomorrow morning, marks a quirky little moment in time. It's not a huge thing, although I find it neat in a dorky way. Just past 1A.M. - two minutes and three seconds past to be exact - it will be 01:02:03 04/05/06. It's the first time ever this has happened (for blatantly obvious reasons) and it's sort of neat. Now I'm sure there's some tool out there who is having some massive celebration, and they'll count down to it like it's a New Year's celebration... and then they too will have that moment like all of us have at approximately 12:01A.M. on New Year's Day where they go "Hmm. I think I'm gonna go to bed now." I'll probably still be up at that time, but I'm not going to sit here and wait for it. Just reflecting on it now is fine for me.

On another note, I feel so grown up lately. My vocabulary these days include words like "interest rates," "re-financing, "mortgage," "appraisals" and "escrow," the latter of which I think I only used when someone would ask "what's that awful noise outside - is that a bird?"

("Yes... escrow.")

As you can likely piece together, I am in the process of getting my finances together, and I have an appraiser coming over tomorrow to evaluate my house so I can refinance it. The best part of the deal is that hopefully, when all is said and done, I will be credit card DEBT FREE. It's an amazing concept to me... and will no doubt change me and my family's life. Hopefully, in a few months, I'll actually be able to start saving money once again, without sending it all off in the form of bill payments and the like. The only cost it will be to me most likely is losing most, if not all, of my equity to date... but when weighing the benefits and interest rates... I will come out way ahead. Sure, we may be living in this house for a few more years than we had originally hoped... but it will be worth it. There just may be a light at the end of the tunnel after all. Which is nice, because I'm sick of watching my paychecks disappear almost faster than they come in.

My stepson Alex also turned seven yesterday. We had a little party for him here on Saturday, where our house was taken over by a group of unruly kids for a good portion of the day, and yesterday he got his gifts from us, including a new bike to accomodate his rapidly-increasing height (he's about three-quarters of the size of my wife already.)

When I met my wife, he was just turning two... so it also marked the five year mark of being together with her. It's a strange concept when I think about it... while it feels like we've been together for much longer, it still is hard to believe it has been five years. I know it's a bit of a contradiction... a "paradox" if you will (hah!)... but it's true. It's still been a great five years... and many more to come (and no, I'm not just saying that because she reads this thing now...)

I've also been officially on a diet for eight full days. I'm eating healthier now, and my appetitie is also getting a bit smaller (that's a good thing.) I did this about two years ago and lost about forty pounds. In the last year, I've gained back all but about five pounds of that. That bothered me enough to make the switch back to healthy eating... and it is a little harder this time around. I've been able to resist all the goodies they always have laying around at work, and the birthday cake from this weekend. I cheated and had one slice of pizza... but overall been very good.
Six pounds down. Twenty-nine to go...

Dammit, I miss chocolate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home