8.14.2006

Four day weekends are swell.

The only thing I like better than a three-day weekend is a four-day weekend.

My mind plays very odd tricks on me on extended weekends. When I take a three-day weekend (whether I am adding a Friday or a Monday to it), it always seems there's an extra Sunday in there... and it's always the last two days. When I take a four-day weekend, as I am finishing up right now (I took both Friday and Monday off), I have a hard time telling what the hell day it is. It actually has a Saturday-Sunday-Sunday-Saturday feeling to it. For that reason, it feels like tomorrow should be Sunday again to me, and I don't want to go back to work.

At least there's one good thing to look forward to - a four day work week (don't even get me started on how my mind processes that.)

Friday, my wife and I headed back to Detroit, and then hopped in the car with my folks for a six-hour drive to Pennsylvania for a family reunion. It seemed like a good idea when we first planned it... after all, gas is expensive and we didn't want to put the extra miles on our car. It's quite an interesting endeavor though, being 31 now, and riding in the back seat with my parents on a road trip. At least I managed to drive half the trip there.

The reunion was nice, and I saw a lot of the family that I haven't had contact with in about 15 years, ate a lot of unhealthy food, and then I jacked up my shoulder playing football with some of my younger cousins (hence my not driving any of the trip home.) I learned a few things from that:
  1. Pennsylvania, unlike Michigan, is very hilly with lots of slopes.
  2. Eleven years olds can be very fast.
  3. Running downhill decreases your likelihood of stopping quickly upon tagging an opponent in touch football.
  4. When sailing through the air head first, time stands still and flies by in a blur simultaneously.
  5. The terrain in the hills of Pennsylvania is a harder earth, with a high concentration of clay and sand. This combination makes a lawn much firmer than Michigan... not unlike a concrete slab.
  6. I am not as resilient as I was ten years ago.
I'm still a little sore. Maybe I should call in sick tomorrow... you know, so I can recover...

1 Comments:

Blogger Rooster had this to say...

Welcome back stranger! Congrats on the papoose. I'll pray for a healthy delivery. We need to chat someday in the near millenium.

Hasta

8/16/2006 12:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home