8.18.2007

It's funny how things catch on...


Recently, I entered into the world of Transformers customizing... I made a custom Scorponok, a custom Blackout, and most recently, a custom Protoform Optimus Prime.

The latter of the three took me the least amount of time to do... I did all the sculpting and filling in of the joints one day, then painted it off and on the following day (a Sunday). Maybe 8 hours or so total of work (compared to 12 or so for the Scorponok, and over 20 on the Blackout.)

I posted my finished Optimus on a few custom forums, including Transformers World 2005, as well as on my Flickr account. Then I listed him for sale on ebay.

A few days later, I'm getting messages and emails from around the world... literally. Japan, Russia, the UK, Australia, as well as all over the U.S. My thread views on just that one TFW2005 post jumped from about 400+ to 4700... and growing. I'm getting Flickr contact additions and comments flooding in... craziness!

Then I start finding out why. Some of my contacts start pointing out that they've seen my custom on Gizmodo (a great tech blog I actually have bookmarked). Then TechEBlog (another one of my favorites). Transformers Movie Blog. Notcon.org (some really cool design site I'd never heard of before). Apparently there's others, but I haven't been able to track them down.

Wow. It's amazing how the Internet works sometimes, and it never ceases to amaze me. All I did was make another custom, and post the pics to some forums... just like I always do. Then one person posts a link to it somewhere, then a few more link to that link, and the next thing you know, I'm getting emails from Russia telling me "I are liking your customize toys." So cool.

I am humbled and amazed. I sincerely appreciate all of the kinds words and positive feedback I've gotten over this figure. As an artist, I'm even more thrilled with being able to expose my work to such a vast audience. That's the most rewarding thing about this to me.

Thank you very much to everyone!!

Back to the lab... I have more to do...

UPDATE: Keeps popping up! Now on: rekkerd.com - nice comparison to the original even!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathleen VanderVelde had this to say...

wow -- the web truly IS amazing! I'm going to check out those sites right away. Glad to see a post from you; I know work and fatherhood have kept you busy. Glad you're getting back into your toys!

kathleen

8/18/2007 07:38:00 PM  
Blogger pairadocs had this to say...

Howdy yourself stranger!

Hope all is well in your world as well - let's email soon, ok?

8/19/2007 12:02:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home