9.27.2005

These things take time...

Took a selfish night tonight. I decided to not to any work at home tonight, and just spend some time on my hobbies. In other words, I did some painting on the Mandarin Spawn custom... so stop asking! I'm taking my sweet time on him (that is, when I get the time), as I've mentioned. I've been working on it this long, I'm certainly not going to give him a botch paint job.

For those keeping count, I started this project last November. With all good intention, he should be done in time for the one year anniversary of me starting it... but don't quote me on that. It's no secret that when it comes to customizing, I suffer from an advanced form of ADD, and I often stray off and start three more new projects before finishing one of the eight or nine I already have going. Hell, I have one custom sitting on my desk that has been in paint for a month now, and if I just put a few nights more into it, it would be done. And, I have another one totally built, just awaiting a paint job.

But because I am growing very weary of everyone asking me "How's Mandy coming?" and "When is Mandarin Spawn gonna be finished?," I am focusing (very difficult) my energy to getting him done.

Then maybe I can post a new figure without discussion just digressing to talk of my progress on Mandy... ;)

I will say this, the build up (partly my fault), has raised the expectation of this custom so high, that I have a lot more pressure in pulling it off and pleasing "the fans."

...Writing that just now reminds me of one of my core ideologies from when I started doing the custom thing: I don't really care if anyone likes them or not... I do it for me, because I enjoy doing it. Oh crap... what a paradox! (haha... get it?) So really, I don't care if you like it or not. I'm taking my damn time, and I'm gonna make the Mandarin Spawn I set out to make. If the folks like it, cool.

It's not like I'm spending all this time and effort into it just to sell it on eBay, like a lot of other customizers seem to be doing these days. I put way too much time and effort (not to mention money in fodder, supplies, materials, etc.) to sell these for a price that would be fair to me or the buyer. Unless you want to buy the Mandarin Spawn when it's done? Let's see... 1 year, with an average of about 15 hours a month... 180 hours at a measly $10 an hour... plus paint and apoxie... $2000 sound good?

Yeah... it'll be staying on my shelf when it's all done.

If there were more of me, I'd get these things done quicker. Kinda like that movie Multiplicity with Michael Keaton... except my luck, they'd all end up like the "special" one, and sit around all day putting pizza in wallets, calling everyone "Steve."

"Two paradoxes are better than one; they may even suggest a solution."
~ Edward Teller (1908 - 2003)

P.S. I love my "fans," and I always appreciate your support and criticism. You make customizing more a lot more fun... you bastards. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home